News

Polymer concrete

What is the difference between cement and concrete?

The simplest explanation could be that cement is an ingredient or component of concrete. If in cooking eggs hold the cake together, cement is what keeps other components of a concrete mixture or batch together.

Typical concrete consists of 80% sand and stone, only the remaining 20% is cement.

What is the difference between ordinary concrete and decorative concrete?

In order to describe what decorative concrete means, concrete has to be looked at not only as a material with constructional and functional properties, but as a material that represents a certain type of aesthetics, pattern, texture or colour.

The composition of decorative concrete used in either interior or exterior is usually polymer concrete. Polymer concrete1 is concrete in which different polymer resins are used as additives.

The compositions and usages of polymer concrete can be very different, but their common characteristic is that they are thermally highly stabile and durable. Their composition includes such aggregate substances as silicone, quartz and granite, which make the material strong, while retaining the plasticity and workability characteristic of polymers.

Characteristics of polymer concretes – adhesion, consolidation and in certain cases self-expansion enable to use them to patch up cracks in older concrete constructions and to cast new forms. Polymer concretes have low permeability to liquids and high resistance to acids; therefore it is a good material for building pools, sewage and also other industrial structures.

The characteristics of polymer concrete make it most suitable for different interior finishing details. Its moldability, after-treatment, surface structure and durability make it an irreplaceable material, which is an important alternative to natural stones, such as marble and granite.

1-  The word polymer comes from the Greek language (πολυ (poly) ’many’ + μέρος (meros) ‘parts’). An example of a polymer is polypropen (-CH2-CH(CH3)-), the monomer of which is propen (CH2=CH-CH3). Polymers include both natural (e.g. amber, cellulose, starch) and synthetic materials (plastics, plastic film).